Saturday, December 27, 2014

Dash and Cinder by Bridget Ladd



Dash and Cinder
by Bridget Ladd
5/5 Stars 


Synopsis from Goodreads:

This short-story is a retelling of Cinderella with a sci-fi, Indian, steampunk, twist . . . where Cinderella may not be entirely human, with a setting in an alternate version of India, and where a young man will do everything he can to find the love that was once stolen from him . . 

My review:

First I have to say I read this story because I missed the world in the Rise of the Ardent series and since I'm anxiously waiting for book 3 of that series I thought I'd pick up Ladd's novella. I'm glad I did.

You know for being a short about 60 page story this packs a great story into few words.  It follows Cinder an android ( or something more?) she’s different than the other Cinders in the house that help take care of the evil lady of the house and her daughters.  

Danshu lost a Cinder he tweaked to make actually feel emotions and pain. He loves her and doesn’t want her to be in any pain so when he gets a lead on her he tries and find her to hopefully end her suffering, but what happens if he does find her? 

I enjoyed this version of Cinderella. I kinds of wish it was longer. That might be the only down side was I enjoyed it so much I wanted to keep reading about the world and the characters. 

Bridget Ladd has a real way with making this steampunkish India type world easy and beautiful to imagine. It was a quick, fun, and beautiful retelling of Cinderella that I wish I had more of.

And if you're wondering its more of a YA book.  Might even say family friendly ( at least I don't remember anything I wouldn't let my 7 year old read but I might have to read it again just in case that is if he shows interest in reading it). Now that I think about it. This would make for a really pretty alternate Cinderella movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment