Saturday, December 27, 2014

Would-Be Witch( Southern Witch Series book 1 )By Kimberly Frost



3/5 Stars


Synopsis from Goodreads:

In the small town of Duvall, Texas, the only thing that causes more trouble than gossip is magic.

The family magic seems to have skipped over Tammy Jo Trask. All she gets in the way of the supernatural are a few untimely visits from the long-dead, smart-mouthed family ghost Edie. But when her locket—an heirloom that happens to hold Edie’s soul—is stolen in the midst of a town-wide crime spree, it’s time for Tammy to find her inner witch.

After a few bad experiences with her magic, Tammy turns to the only one who can help: the very rich and highly magical Bryn Lyons. He might have all the answers, but the locket isn’t the only thing passed down in Tammy’s family. She also inherited a warning…to stay away from anyone named Lyons…

My review:


Tammy Jo is a cute southern chick who isn’t perfect. She has a temper, kind of ditzy and still at the age of 23 has not got her powers. She’s still susceptible to her Ex Husbands Charm and they have an on and off again relationship.  She seems to really like her “alpha” males because the other guy Bryn who she’s attracted to is kind of an a*hole to her and she pretty much takes it and comes back for more.  I have to say if you make it through to the end both guys do end up having redeeming qualities. So if you like a “love triangle” this book has a decent one because you kind of hate both guys but towards the end you kind of like both. 

I like her cat Mercutio. I’d like to know how he came to be and how he got to her besides what Bryn told her. That alone will keep me reading the series.

I’m not sure how I feel about the story in this book alone. It introduces us to a lot of the characters and what these characters are towards her but the story itself seems kind of lost ( I'm not sure if thats the word I'm looking for but thats what pops in my head). We start off a hunt for a lost locket of hers that she needs back to save a dead relative from pain. Then we get pulled in the direction of her being introduced to the witching community and having to figure out if she has a smidgen of power. At the end though you get back to the lost locket. It does all go together just to me it was not very smooth. 

It is a good first book and I believe/hope it will become better.  To me it was like Stephanie Plum ( which I find to be a cute series) in the supernatural world. 

This book has your witches, werewolves, zombies, vampires ,mermen and southern charm. You’ll laugh at some parts and cringe at others. The action scenes are short but decent. 


I’ll read more of this series because although it didn’t really grab my attention and at some points I found it dull there was enough saving it and enough to peak my interest to make me want to keep going.


No comments:

Post a Comment